Bring amazing design to all your projects!
Visual hierarchy is the order in which a user processes the information on a page. By assigning different visual characteristics to sections of information (larger fonts for headings), you can influence what users will perceive as being further up in the hierarchy.
Ways to create a hierarchy
- Size: the larger the element, the more attention it will attract
- Color: bright colors are more likely to draw attention over muted ones
- Contrast: dramatically contrasting colors will catch the eye easily
- Alignment: an element that breaks away from the alignment of others will attract more attention
- Repetition: repeating styles can give the impression that content is related
- Proximity: closely placed elements will also appear related
- Whitespace: more space around elements will attract the eye toward them
- Texture and style: richer textures will attract more attention than flat ones